Trust Administration

Trust administration of revocable or irrevocable trusts may be handled by our team of attorneys, administrators and paralegals. Our office can assist your trustee with with the following:

  • Inventory and valuation of assets
  • Actively assist the trustee in establishing a proper record keeping system for administration of the trust
  • Assist you in directing the distribution of the decedent’s retirement accounts to avoid any unnecessary income tax consequences
  • Assist you in preparation of any accounts and reports which might have to be given to other trust beneficiaries
  • Paying debts, if any
  • Paying trust expenses
  • Prepare required estate tax returns (IRS form 706), if necessary. This includes handling related tasks involving taxing authorities (e.g., applying for tax identification numbers for the trusts, and filing notices of fiduciary relationshipp, and representing you in connection with any estate tax return audit)
  • Referrals to professionals to advise your trustee how to prudently managing, protecting, and investing the assets, including maintaining appropriate property and liability insurance
  • Removing the decedent’s name from the title to trust assets
  • Transferring the decedent’s assets to the trusts
  • Provide written notice to all the decedent’s heirs and named beneficiaries pursuant to California law
  • Distributing the trust assets to the trust beneficiaries
  • Notifying the county assessor of the changes in real estate ownership resulting from the decedent’s death, and filing documents required to try to avoid property tax reassessment
  • Taking appropriate action with respect to the decedent’s property which is not included in the trust
  • Represent you with respect to any disputes with creditors or beneficiaries which may occur in connection with the administration of the trust.

If you, a family member, or a friend, have a need for assistance with trust administration, please contact us at telephone number 805-267-1141, or send an immediate email inquiry to one of our qualified lawyers.